Friday, July 30, 2010

A healthy diet

Apparently this is what you need to eat daily to stay healthy

Grains: 6 ounces (rice is in this category and 1/2 cup = 1 ounce)
Veggies: 2.5 cups
Fruit 1.5 cups
Milk: 3 cups
Meat/beans/eggs: 5 ounces (PROTEIN)


Therefore as far as nutrients go, the slave diet doesnt have enough calcium and B12. Thus the nutritionist has insisted that I take a daily multi-vitamin.


However on the plus side I should be getting a little bit from each of the five food groups daily (except fruit) and I should be fine (hungry, and maybe fatigued, certainly grumpy, but fine).

Not having any fruit is OK as long as I am eating veggies, and if possible- eating more than the 2.5 cups recommended to make up for the missing fruit.

Not having my milk requirement daily means insufficient calcium, but calcium, also, comes from dark leafy greens such as spinach, kale, collard greens and romaine lettuce.

As far as the protein group, I will combine the beans and rice whenever possible to make a complete protein source. However, I only get beans once every two weeks so the eggs, already a complete protein source, will have to see me through. I wonder, can I get high colesterol on eating so little!?

Oils are important and we should have about 5 teaspoons daily so I need to barter/sell some of those egss to buy oil.

On the plus side, and the only one I can think of...the serving recommendations typed up top are to maintain weight - as I am cutting back on those I will drop some pounds!

More later...



No comments:

Post a Comment