Thursday, August 12, 2010

Day 4

I cannot believe that I have now spent 3 days on this diet!

What can I tell you about it?

Well I have learned
a. That when you are hungry you will begin to feel that you could eat things which, normally, you wouldn't. By way of a small, but telling, example: Yesterday I finished teaching Capstone. I had promised to buy the students pizza to celebrate their success. Of course, I couldn't eat the pizza and sat their with my soup and rice watching them eat. There was some cheese left on the bottom of the box after the pizza had been cut. I SO WANTED that cheese; fortunately my daughter declared herself staving and ate it, saving me!!!! I did eat a small crust of one of her slices on the basis that it could count as unleaven bread - it was delicious...

b. Talking about watching people eat pizza I think that, and cooking for my family, is a huge challenge. I cook them meals and then sit down with my rice and weeds. Last night, waiting for the pizzas to be cooked was almost unbearable. So I have learned what it is like to be on the outside looking in. I know how terrible it must be to be hungry and watch everyone around you eating. Turning on the TV is another challenge - wall to wall food programmes and advertisments!

c. Also, I have learned that my stomach can make interesting noises. On Tuesday I was working, surrounded by my faithful 3 springer spaniels, when some growling started. I immediately told them off only to find that it was my stomach, I have never heard it perform like that before!

d. Now, I know what it is like to go to bed hungry and wake up hungry - horrible. Also, yesterday, I started having a headache which I just cannot shift.

so... my journey is teaching me many things and I am sure I will be stronger for it. When I see the footage of the floods in Pakistan my resolve is strengthened.


They have nothing.

I know this will end and I have fat reserves - although I have lost 2lbs in 3 days.

If you feel motivated to donate or just become more aware here are the links:

http://www.freetheslaves.com/
http://www.streetchildren.org.uk/
http://sites.google.com/site/pegasuschildrenstrust

and two organisations helping the victims of human trafficking in Central Texas:
alliesctx.wordpress.com/2010/07/30/allies-makes-the-news and http://www.ctcaht,org/

No comments:

Post a Comment